Things Jesus Told Us to Do
1. Repent: Matthew 4:17
Matthew 5:11 – 12
3. Let Your Light Shine:
4. Be Righteous:
5. Be Reconciled: Matthew 5:23 – 24
6. Settle Matters Quickly: Matthew 5:25
7. Don’t Lust: Matthew 5:28
8. Don’t Divorce Except for Infidelity: Matthew 5:31 – 32
9. Keep Your Word: Matthew 5:37
10. Turn the Other Cheek: Matthew 5:39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.
11. Go the Extra Mile: Matthew 5:40 – 42 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
12. Love Your Enemies and Pray for Those Who Persecute You: Matthew 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
13. Be Perfect: Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
14. Practice Secret Disciplines: Matthew 6:1 Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them.
15. Pray: Matthew 6:5 – 8 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him
16. Forgive: Matthew 6:14 – 15 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 18:21 – 22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
17. Fast: Matthew 6:16 – 18 When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
18. Store up Treasures in Heaven: Matthew 6:19 – 24 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22 The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! 24 No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
19. Don’t Worry: Matthew 6:28 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear
20. Seek His Kingdom First: Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
21. Don’t Judge: Matthew 7:1- 2 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you
22. Don’t Cast Pearls: Matthew 7:6 Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces
23. Ask, Seek and Knock: Matthew 7:7 – 8 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened
24. Live the Golden Rule: Matthew 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
25. Enter Through the Narrow Gate: Matthew 7:13 – 14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
26. Watch Out for False Teachers: Matthew 7:15 Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves
27. Pray for Workers: Matthew 9:37 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.
28. Be Shrewd: Matthew 10:16 I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.
29. Be Afraid About the Right Things: Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
30. Hear God’s Voice: Matthew 11:15 Whoever has ears, let them hear.
31. Take Jesus’ Yoke: Matthew 11:28 – 30 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
32. Honor Your Parents: Matthew 15:4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death’.
33. Don’t Despise Children: Matthew 18:10 See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven
34. Go to Offenders: Matthew 18:15 If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you.
35. Honor Marriage: Matthew 19:4 – 6 Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, let no one separate.
36. Be a Servant: Matthew 20:26 – 28 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
37. Be a House of Prayer: Matthew 21:13 It is written, he said to them, ‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it a den of robbers.
38. Ask in Faith: Matthew 21:21 – 22 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
39. Render to Caesar: Matthew 22:21 Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.
40. Love God: Matthew 22:37 – 38 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
41. Love Your Neighbor: Matthew 22:39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
42. Be Ready: Matthew 24:42 – 44 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.
43. Take, Eat and Drink: Matthew 26:26 – 28 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
44. Make Disciples: Matthew 28:19 – 20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
45. Baptize: Matthew 28:19 – 20
46. Teach What Jesus Taught: Matthew 28:19 – 20
47. Deny Yourself: Luke 9:23 – 24 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.
48. Don’t be Greedy: Luke 12:15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”
49. Be Born Again: John 3:5 – 7 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’
50. Keep Jesus’ Commandments: John 14:15 If you love me, keep my commands.